Thursday, February 3, 2011

Women: At Home and Abroad

The oppression of woman in the workforce is next to abhorrent. Still. It's subtle, no doubt, but ever present; a vicious reminder of the destructive paradigm that persists. However, while I wail and moan about Mad Men-esque harassment and slights, I'm reminded of the plight of women in Egypt that has come to our collective, international attention. Suddenly, being passed over for an advancement or relegated to ever-more secretary doesn't seem so dire. Perhaps I need to count my gender's American blessings?


Indeed, yes. BUT I think it better, for the situation to remind us / draw our attention to injustices across the globe, at home AND abroad that perpetually afflict and destroy the advancement of women. I'm challenged, wondering what I can do to be more active in this field.


Check out www.restorenyc.com for more info about what some people are doing right here in NYC to take on the travesty of sex trafficking.

No comments:

Post a Comment